Jazz Band Auditions
Auditions for the 2017-18 Stillwater Jazz Program will be held on Monday, May 22 from 7-8:30 PM at SAHS in the Band Room. Enter at Door 44 W. Auditions are held in a round robin format, with all musicians playing together as an ensemble. The schedule is listed below:
6:30 – 7:00 – Meet in the SAHS Band Room B113 to warm up. This is a time to get to know the other musicians
7:00 – 7:40 – Sections will break out with current seniors to go over parts. Rhythm Section will play through audition charts rotating players.
7:40 – 8:30 – Horn player return to band room and we rehearse the charts, alternating players.
If any musician is unable to attend the Monday night audition, an alternative time to play for the directors can be scheduled.
If you have any questions, please email Mr. Lindsay or Mr. Bryan.
Concert Band Auditions
Auditions and Callbacks will continue for the Stillwater Bands throughout the Spring and Summer. Contact Mr. Lindsay or Mr. Bryan to schedule an audition. Audition Materials and procedures are listed below.
Directors Tips to prepare for your audition
Auditions are often stressful for young musicians. With that in mind, we have listed some suggestions on how to best prepare.
- Select music that allows you sound your best. All Stillwater Band students have many solos and etudes that they are asked to prepare for their bands across a school year. Pick music from this that you know well and feel prepared to perform. If you have already performed it before, all the better.
- Pick music you play well. We suggest that you play two contrasting pieces or excerpts of pieces: something slow that shows off your beautiful sound and then something that shows off a little technique.
- Play your audition music for others before you play it in your actual audition. Performing for your friends and family get you used to playing in front of others.
- Practice sight-reading! If you have smart music, it has a whole section that you can work with. If you do not have access to smart music, simply read ahead in your etude books or play duets with another musician.
- Arrive at your audition early and warmup! There are practice rooms available in the music commons that are sound proof and are equipped with smart music. Take as much time as you need to feel “ready to play”.
Finally, RELAX!!!! Everyone wants you to do your best…..especially the directors!
Auditions are scheduled in 15 minute intervals so that we have time to give you feedback and work with you a bit. Think of it as a 15 minute lesson. It is a time for us to get to know you as musicians and for you to get to know us a bit as well.
If you would like, we are always available to work with you before your audition date to give you suggestions and help you prepare. Feel free to contact us to schedule a lesson.
Dennis Lindsay Joel Bryan